During the last years of the 1840’s, a Methodist Church was organized in the Rough and Ready community south of Monticello. Around 1850, the church was moved to Monticello and services were conducted in the Courthouse. The first building, built in 1853, was located just north of the present library on South Main Street.
This church antedated the organization of the Monticello District by two years. In the beginning, the church was a part of the Pine Bluff District, and the Mt. Pleasant Circuit, becoming a charge in 1859.
In 1890, a new building was erected. Additional land was purchased in 1907 for a third building completed in 1911. This building was “Monticellonian” in architectural design and featured a water-driven pipe organ—necessary because electricity was available only in the evenings.
The west wing of the present facility was completed in 1950. Following it’s completion, the third building was raised, and the present sanctuary was built in 1953-54, incorporating the eleven glass art windows from the old church. Bricks from the old church were cleaned by volunteers and were used in the construction of the present sanctuary, while the cornerstone of the third church was built into the lighted sign which stands on the church lawn.
The east wing of the present facility was built in 1982 to house offices and classrooms. The present parsonage was built in 1966.
Construction began in November 2007 on a three million dollar Family Life Center. The facility was completed in May 2008. An Open House was held June 1, 2008 and a Consecration Service September 7, 2008 with our Bishop, Charles N. Crutchfield, District Superintendent, Dennis Spence & Pastor, Bill Eason officiating.